Book Review by Speaking Coach Geraldine Barkworth
This is a good book to help you grow onward and upward after cultivating a strong stable base. Think beautiful flower, contributing to eco system around it, rather than becoming the next CEO tyrant of Wall Street.
What I especially liked about 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do was:
- no pop psychology, quick fixes or faddish positivism – back to basics learning how to manage your own self defeating behaviours through your thoughts, behaviours and feelings – the basis of strong mental health.
- the wake up call I received upon reading it – I had slipped into a self indulgent habit of decline.
- the emphasis on self responsibility – taking control of your inner life to create a satisfying outer life.
A Snapshot of Chapter Headings To Inspire You
- Chapter 2: They Don’t Give Away Their Power
- Chapter 4: They Don’t Focus On Things They Can’t Control
- Chapter 5: They Don’t Worry About Pleasing Everyone
If you have already worked with me as your Speaking Coach or Trainer, you’ll recognise many of these same themes. Speaking starts from the inside. Cultivate your inner life to communicate with richness.
Gentle and powerful. I’m keeping psychotherapist Amy Morin’s 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do by the side of my bed to keep me on track. And here’s a link to Amy’s website which includes pdf downloads and a link to a TED Talk for those who prefer video to books.